Jerome Cleary

a message board

Thursday, March 09, 2006

BISEXUAL IS THE NEW "GAY"

By Jerome Cleary

I tried to pretend it was not happening at all. That being gay was now too gay, and it is now better to be seen as Bisexual. That it now takes the edge off of being well, gay.

In today's cutting edge trend, gay is out but being Bi is really in since it is the dumbed-down softer side version of being just an old boring gay. If you are known as Bi or bisexual, it now means that you are cooler than cool.

Does being Bisexual now seem to be an upgrade from being just gay? When a star, athlete or celebrity can reveal their all-new Lesbian or gay affair and still be seen as sorta straight, does that make it better?

Is Bisexual now like a new improved higher octane gay but with better options and results?

The Anne Heches and Angelina Jolies have basically ruined it for all of us. While they are confessing of bisexual affairs, this engages a dance-around in the media. Just this week The National Enquirer has another issue out with the headline that says: "Who's Gay?" and Who's Not Gay" It make many of us peruse this issue at the grocery store or magazine rack with avid interest.

And just the other day, I listened to a radio talk show where the hosts would name a celebrity and then each of the two male hosts and the one female host who is also admittedly bisexual would say who they thought was gay or not.


On dating websites guys list themselves as straight but somehow reveal that they have some "gay tendencies." On the website craigslist.com, in the "men seeking men section," tons of guys are straight but for today's listing or posting they are drunk or high or their real or imaginary girlfriends at work, or she's out of town or they just "broke up" with their gf (slang for girlfriend).

Or I love the guy's ads that say: "I want to be gay for one night" or "prove to me that I might like to have sex with a guy."

Excuse me? Am I missing something?

Will the future bring us closet heterosexuals who want to try "being straight for one night" or "my male lover is out of town and I would like to try some vagina tonight."

I really do believe that there are some true bisexuals, but these newer versions of dabbling in bisexuality or try-to-make-me-gay tonight ads on the Internet just have me thinking what the hell is happening?

Is the gorilla marketing approach working in the way that now real gays are masquerading around as faux bisexuals to get laid or noticed more?

When a man or woman says, "Yeah, well I am bisexual," does that mean that it's a little bit better or acceptable than the full-on throttle gay or lesbian person?

Will future musicals have songs like: “I'm Gonna Wash That Bi Right Out of My Hair" or "I Enjoy Being A Bi" to finally "There Is Nothing Like A Bi, Nothing In The World."

Will future support groups have members confessing, "I dabbled and experimented with Heterosexuality in college?"

Jerome Cleary is an actor, writer and comic at The World Famous Comedy Store-www.freecomedytickets.com and can be reached at:
jeromeclearytalk@aol.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home